Hands-on Microbiology Labs
Microbiology online with a lab is possible! With our broad range of innovative hands-on microbiology labs, your students will gain a variety of standard core competencies and learn microbiology lab skills, including practice with an aseptic technique, collecting and incubating cultures, and describing and identifying microbes. Our labs include those requiring non-virulent sterile microbe cultures as well as those using environmentally collected samples. With Science Interactive, you can:
- Create an active learning environment online that promotes deeper student engagement, critical thinking, and problem solving.
- Give students the chance to use lab-grade materials and equipment that match the sophistication of a formal lab facility.
- Build hands-on kits that suit your needs and budget, like choosing between physical or virtual microscopes.
Virtual Microbiology Labs
Similarly, our virtual microbio labs can supplement hands-on labs that require expensive equipment and be used to cover fundamental concepts like the scientific method, graphing prep, or formula and equation work. You might also consider using virtual microbio labs as pre-lab work for in-person labs in order to better prepare students. From a simulation illustrating a bacterial infection to examining the ubiquity of microorganisms, students can run virtual experiments an unlimited number of times in order to:
- Manipulate different variables, re-run the experiment, and see different results, especially important for struggling students.
- Reinforce critical learning outcomes while exploring additional concepts that may not directly align with your course objectives.
- Ensure practicality when it comes to costs and time.
Effective, High-Quality Microbiology Curriculum
Science Interactive develops the highest quality online curriculum for both hands-on or virtual microbiology labs. Lessons are:
- Developed by PhD scientists, with measurable learning outcomes, detailed experimental protocols, and questions that tie into the core learning objectives.
- Reviewed by instructional designers for quality, accuracy, safety, and ADA compliance — and peer-reviewed by active microbiology professors for content accuracy.
- Certified by Quality Matters to ensure the same standards of rigor and quality as on-campus bio courses.
Flexible Platform to Guide Students through an Online Microbiology Lab
All of the curriculum is turnkey and can be used in your course right away. We also make it easy to customize, infusing each lab with your own unique instructional style and outcomes. Our LMS-integrated lab management platform allows you to:
- Customize any part of a lesson or even microbiology lab quiz by adding or removing text, images, and videos to enhance lessons and guide students through each microbio lab.
- Have students submit a microbiology lab report so you can assess student work with automatic grading for multiple choice questions.
- Provide constructive feedback so each student can continue improving for the next lab.